Summer Hair Essentials

 
Summer time for me means long, sunny L.A. days, keeping hydrated with lots of cold drinks ... and debating what to do with my long hair.  I've been growing my hair long for awhile, typically no shorter than the middle of my back and while I enjoy wearing my long locks down, the summer heat and humidity can have me easily wanting to wear it in a bun all summer.  

Recently in a group discussion, someone was looking to start using dry shampoos and was surprised to learn that they come in a loose powder form.  I've been using dry shampoos in its many forms for years to help extend styling (I usually have it curled or in loose waves) and tame any oiliness before I wash my hair;  I also utilize a few other accessories to give me styling options so I thought it might help to share my hair essentials not only to help during hot summer days but throughout the year as well!  

DRY SHAMPOOS
1. My go-to dry shampoo is Bumble and bumble's pret-a-powder which is in a loose powder form.  Lightly sweet scented, it doesn't leave a white cast in my dark brunette hair, has a very fine powder formulation and I will either sprinkle directly into the desired area of my hair or sprinkle into the palm of my hand for a lighter application and massage it in.  It comes in a smaller travel size too which is great to keep in your work or travel bag.  Tip: I will use this before I go to bed so I can apply a bit more generously and has plenty of time to absorb overnight. 
2. I just discovered Bumble and bumble's Post Workout Dry Shampoo Mist this year and bought the smaller size to try it out - so happy I did!  We all know after any kind of workout or strenuous activity, it doesn't feel great to walk around with sweaty hair if you're not heading straight to showering.  THIS helps by absorbing oil, refreshing your hair and eliminates odor - it's a win-win!  
3. Dry shampoo sprays are helpful in that they work quickly, helps provide quick overall volume to your hair and freshen the scent of your hair too (envision having had korean b.b.q.).  I was looking to try a new one as I previously used Sebastian's Dry Clean Only and no longer enjoyed the scent.  My hair stylist has used Kenra products and I really enjoyed the scent so I was hoping their dry shampoo spray would work well and it does!  I bought the travel size at Ulta to try and recently went back to buy the full-size.  Having a travel size on hand is also useful to keep in your work or travel bag.  

ACCESSORIES: 
1+2. Hair picks are my best hair friend and I have A LOT.  Pictured here are 2 of my favorite ones and equally effective to tame my hair into a sleek or messy bun.  I actually sleep with my hair in a bun atop my head as it creates a natural wavy style (yay no heat styling) or helps extend my style if I curled it. 
- Brass hair pin by Mountains & Skye: I don't have to worry about being rough using this hair pin, is very well made and I like the sleek design.
- Hawaii Island hardwood hairstick by Weloha: Beautifully made in Hawaii by Keanuenue Roldan who is very skilled in creating a variety of jewelry/art - this one in particular is Mamane wood gathered at Mauna Kea. 
3. Mini hair clip in Italian (faux) tortoise by Jcrew:  This small but handy hairclip is the best to pull enough of your hair back away from your face and still have a loose, flowy style.  I find the larger ones too bulky or it would leave a "dent" in my hair after using it.  

What are your go-to's for your hair in the summer or throughout the year? 


- Steph. 

Comments

Popular Posts