Time to make joong/zongzi!

 
Joong (Cantonese), Zongzi (Mandarin), or as I have sometimes referred to as Chinese tamales for those unfamiliar - it is an entire meal wrapped neatly in a parcel enjoyed by many like yours truly.  Though you can enjoy them throughout the year, during a specific time of the year you will notice them a lot more - being sold at markets, eateries, and homemade ones.  Every 5th day of the 5th month in the Lunar calendar marks the occasion for joong and it is also the time for Dragon Boat Festivals.  

So what's in them?  I'm used to joong compiled of sticky rice, Chinese sausage (lap cheong), preserved duck eggs, dried shrimp, peanuts, mung bean and pork belly, wrapped up in bamboo leaves.  If that sounds like a filling meal, it is!  Variations include dried scallops, chestnuts and I heard a restaurant in Monterey Park has a special one with abalone (wow!).  Side Note: The concept of joong can be seen, or more accurately eaten, in other countries.  For example in Malaysia where part of my heritage is from, you would enjoy Nasi Lemak -  wrapped similarly but with banana leaves it contains sambal, anchovies, peanuts and boiled egg with rice typically cooked with fresh coconut milk.  
Ingredients before assembly begins
Growing up, I only recall my mom making joong once; most of the time she would order them from someone who was making them at home.  Last year with COVID-19 having us quarantining at home, it provided the opportunity for my brother and I to learn how to make joong and have plenty made to eat and freeze for future meals.  One amusing thing when making joong was tying the twine - it became very clear who made a joong by the amount of twine wrapped around as my brother decided a lot more twine was enough to ensure the joong wasn't going to unwrap during the cooking process.  Apparently my maternal grandmother was able to tie a joong with just 3 wraps around!  After boiling for about 3 hours, we had a delicious meal ready to unwrap and enjoy.  

Let me know if you've had joong/zongzi - what was the filling and would you ever want to make your own? 

- Steph. 



Comments

Popular Posts